Friday, April 3, 2009

To Fool, or Not to Fool...That is the Question...

April Fool's Day has come and gone. I'll admit that I toyed briefly with the idea of posting some bit of fluff designed to amuse and momentarily confuse the reader, but it's so hard to compete with current events, where the absurd, bizarre, and seemingly unbelievable are more and more commonplace.
If I had written, for example, that Obama gave the Queen of England an iPod loaded with pictures of himself and his speeches, would anyone have believed me? Yeah. Right! I certainly couldn't have written it with a straight face! Or make up something like the cheesy Presidential DVD gift to a visiting head of state with poor eyesight? An illegal alien auntie living in public housing? Trillions of dollars of spending because the previous administration ran up too much debt?
The main reason that truth is stranger than fiction is because fiction has to make sense!

So, during the reign of the Obamanation, in the Age of Internets, I will forgo any attempts at April Fool's jokes... at least until the rest of reality catches up with something that's at least vaguely credible.

No comments:

Post a Comment