Sunday, July 8, 2012

Ernest Borgnine, R.I.P.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Tim Conroy, Ernest Borgnine and Joe Flynn


Actor Ernest Borgnine passed away today at the age of 95. Born Ermes Effron Borgnino of Italian immigrant parents, Ernest Borgnine was a US Naval veteran in WWII. Ironically perhaps, it was his role as Lt. Commander Quintin McHale in the 1960's sitcom McHale's Navy, that brought him the most fame.

Thank you for your service, and thank you for entertaining generations of Americans. Rest in peace, Mr. Borgnine.

8 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear it. I'll always remember Borgnine's role in "From Here to Eternity." He was a villain and a convincing one. Nevertheless, he was a good man and a great actor. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Not many people remember him for his tough guy roles, but he was very versatile. Notice too, that he wasn't at all like the interchangeable pretty boys we have on the silver screen today!

      You're right, he will be missed.

      Delete
  2. "Marty" is one of my favorite movies. 95 is a pretty good run, nevertheless, I was heartbroken to hear of his death. It's always sad when another member of the old guard dies. Here's hoping the angels keep him and Ethel on separate clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 95 ain't bad at all. Andy Griffith , now Ernest Borgnine, it just reminds of of a simpler time, and all the stuff we took for granted.

      Delete
    2. I know, I was sad to hear about Andy Griffith - I had a huge crush on him as a youngster! If you get a chance, pick up Ernest Borgnine's biography - it's a good read.

      Delete
    3. I'm a little behind on my reading right now, but, I'll keep that in mind!

      Delete
  3. We lost another good man; God said it's time to get your reward to him. I wonder whether Tim Conway Jr. will say something about him on his radio show in Southern California (KFI AM 640 7-10 PM PDT). Tim's dad was also part of the McHale's Navy cast. The Conways are quite conservative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. They just don't make 'em like them anymore.

      Delete