Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Edmonton Diaries, Continued

Continuing the saga of my adventures in the Great Frozen North, we seek out those culinary treasures unknown in the lower 48:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Cuites à La Marmite? Sounds vaguely like something they might have fed your great grandfather in the first World War. (Personally I was attacked by a rabid Marmite when I was a younger man, and barely escaped with my life!)

Anyway, I figured I'd buy a package for the novelty sake if nothing else. Fortunately, I was spared from actually tasting it, as a Mountie in a red hazmat suit took them from me before I could open the package.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Another oddity on my sojourn, as you can see from the photo below, is a railroad caboose, high in the air, on a short bit of trestle leading nowhere. As far as I can ascertain, this was done for "No Apparent Reason", which I have come to believe is the Canadian national motto. Canadians, or "Cans" as they like to call themselves, seem to employ this methodology constantly. Anyone else see the irony of the "Future of Safety" represented by an obsolete railroad car, suspended three stories above your head??

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The next oddity may or may not be universally Canadian. It may just be confined to Edmonton, where the local residents, or "Eddies" as they call themselves, have an inexplicable lack of storage places for their house cats. How else do you explain the presence of this particular button on the dashboard of my rental car?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

People unable to fold their own cats? Unwilling?? Too lazy??? Then what do you do with them? Pop them in the glove box? Fit them in the trunk with the luggage for your vacation?? It's a mystery, eh?


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Time for a fashionably late dinner, where I can observe the Eddies and the Cans in their natural habitat...

No comments:

Post a Comment