Monday, August 24, 2009

Quote du jour

In a way that is difficult to specify, every life is infinitely precious. That is what it means to love someone, and to be loved. My wife and I just spent a lot of money on keeping a favorite cat alive for almost a year longer than she would have had without special care. We made that decision without hesitation. That animal was special to us. It was more than three pounds of meat.

When my father died I fought his passing every step of the way. I was never willing to let him go, and I wanted him to know that. It was the last gesture of love between us. He is infinitely precious to me, and I suppose I was to him. That bond is not reflected in ObamaCare, and cannot be. Obama grew up without a father, being passed from one family and place to the next, and ObamaCare may reflect his commodified view of life. For Obama, people are economic objects.

The human beings we love are not commodities. We don't trade them against a simple cost accounting. That is not to deny the fact that taking care of people takes money. It does. It is just that we have a dual relationship to other living beings, especially those we love.

-James Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment