Monday, June 13, 2016

Introducing KiRKWOOD as a Regular Feature

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Most of you know I'm John Cox's biggest fan. Well, there is that one guy in Area 51 who laughs his tentacles off every day, but among homo sapiens, I'm #1.

From time to time, I've grabbed some of the more political (or hilarious) KiRKWOOD strips and run them here. I've listed links to the strips in the Best of the Web* every week. John also does original art specifically for this blog, so I asked him what he thought about running KiRKWOOD as a regular feature here, too.

I twisted his arm. I begged, pleaded and cajoled. Finally I reminded him of those naked pictures with the Pope and the string cheese, and he graciously agreed! This is not to say that the strip would not also be available to some sharp eyed, independent newspaper publisher that wanted to increase circulation by adding this unique value to their newspaper, as well. (Naked Pope pictures extra.)

So, starting tomorrow morning, KiRKWOOD will be a regular feature here. John welcomes your feedback on the 'toons. Please use the comment section. Comments praising the strips will be reluctantly forwarded to John. Snark and mean spirited comments ("Yo mama", etc.) I'll deliver in person.
This doesn't mean you can stop going over to his place, because he has lots of other good stuff there, too!

Hope you all enjoy KiRKWOOD as much as I do. Let us know.

John's observations on the strip:

"I like to think of him as a middle-aged man struggling in a youngster's body. His insights tend to be a bit mature, especially the occasional cynicism."

"I've never named him because I think of him as Chaplin's "The Tramp". I think any given name just puts him in a box."

"I've been asked why there's no visual representation of adults in his environment. That fact these voices of authority are somewhat anonymous helps keep the focus on him."

"My influences include Ziggy, Doonesbury, Dilbert, Peanuts and of course, a smidgeon of Calvin and Hobbes. A daily comic that features an unpredictable little kid will always be in the shadow of Waterson's masterpiece. As far as writing dialog, I find Zippy The Pinhead very inspirational."

"The Cox and Forkum era gave me all the confidence I needed to pull off the delicate balance between pathos and humor."

No comments:

Post a Comment