Sunday, September 25, 2011

Let There Be Lights!

Of all the things I might have chosen to write about today, this wasn't one of them. Yesterday evening, I put up the chandelier I had carried with me from Ohio.

Part of the charm of the Ohio house, to me, was the grape theme in the kitchen and dining room. The kitchen was painted purple, textured with gold and silver highlights. There was grape themed wallpaper wainscoting, grape wallpaper trim at the ceiling's edge, plastic bunches of grapes hanging from the light fixtures, and the pièce de résistance, a chandelier in the dining room, with each element a transparent bunch of grapes.

In order to make the house more appealing to a broader segment of house buyers, I painted over the purple kitchen, the dark maroon dining room and the zebra striped upstairs bathroom. And I replaced the grape chandelier with a more conventional light fixture.

Well, I finally got tired of looking at the ugly fixture that came with my California house, and I mounted the chandelier:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


And having nothing of great importance to do on a Sunday afternoon, I thought I'd search and see if anyone else had such a thing, or where one might get one (or spare parts) if ever needed. I didn't find one like it, but I thought I'd share some of what I did find!

The first is something you can give me as a house warming gift for my seaside cottage (whenever I get one). The mermaid chandelier:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

a Bic pen chandelier?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

a recycled plastic spoon chandelier

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

a recycled coffee stirrer chandelier

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

a cd chandelier
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

a Mason jar chandelier

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

a wine bottle chandelier (I think this one was store bought)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And last but not least, a couple of...unique lamps!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


You never know what you'll find on the Internet!

13 comments:

  1. Nice lighting collection - I have to say, I really love the newest feature on your site! Randy, Spartacus, and I were wondering - could you do a column on window treatments next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. C: What's the use of having a blog if you can't comment on style or fashion tips once in a while, instead of all that icky politics? Besides, I don't just blog about fashion. Did you see my piece on that car wreck in San Francisco?

    And speaking of "car wrecks", what is that outfit you're wearing?
    (I kid. I'm a kidder. Please don't hit me with the lamp again, Mrs. C!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Besides...Martha Stewart can't live forever! Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. " ....instead of all that icky politics? "
    Well, I wasn't going to say anything, I'm just glad to see that you're mixing it up a little. May I suggest "In the Kitchen with Proof" or "The Must-Have Shoes For Fall"?

    I thought you liked my Daisy Dukes and lucite heels from Value Village. So that was all just pillow talk?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear, you pull off the Daisy Dukes splendidly (double entendre intended). But, the Lucite heels are soooo last year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One interior design post and suddenly you're Mr. Blackwell? Fine - the lucite heels go, but I think it's only fair that you foot the bill for my new Payless dyed-to-match stilettos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whatever you do, don't lucite of your objective!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "One interior design post and suddenly you're Mr. Blackwell?" Well, I hate to brag AND drop names, but who exactly did you think told Victoria her secret?

    "don't lucite of your objective" Clearly you don't know me that well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What secret? That men like looking at catalogs of supermodels in push-up bras and thongs? Well, get me a can of paint and color me surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait! You're saying they actually used my ideas??? I should get royalties!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They did and you should - AND share the revenue with me for the tip-off. I watch the movies, I know how things work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spread the wealth??? What are you? A communist? Of all the things I want to spread with you (and on you), wealth wasn't the first word that came to mind!

    Joy and happiness, for example!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Take it easy, I said "share" not "spread"!

    But if we're going to be "spreading", you'd better have a jar of Nutella™ on hand - joy and happiness are highly overrated.

    ReplyDelete