Saturday, August 28, 2010

Lap Dancers Smarter on Average Than Obama Administration

Okay! I just made that one up to make the Obama administration feel better about the source of their failures! But, the Independent UK has a study that one in four lap dancers has a college degree.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


The first academic research project into lap dancing has found that, rather than being uneducated young women who have been coerced into the industry, one in four dancers has a degree and has been attracted by the money.

Dancers took home an average of £232 a shift after paying commission and fees to the club, with most working between two and four shifts a week – giving them annual incomes of between £24,000 and £48,000 a year.


That's $37,000 to $74,450 USD. Not surprisingly, three out of four surveyed said they were "happy" or "Very happy" at work. One such lady is Amber:

Amber gave up a career as a financial journalist seven years ago, and now earns around £40,000 a year ($62K USD) working as a stripper in pubs in London's East End.

The 32-year-old, who has three A-levels and a journalism degree, said: "I had always been fascinated by the idea of being a stripper. I was disillusioned about the work I was doing. I think many people who have worked hard at school and university get out into the real world and find it's not what they expected. Someone I knew had a partner who worked as a stripper, so I went to see her perform at a pub in the East End.

"I think it's everyone's dream to be self-employed, to not have a boss and to work as much or as little as you want. In journalism, it didn't matter how many hours of overtime I put in, I still got paid the same. Now I can work really hard one week and earn good money, and then I can have a week when I don't work so hard and don't earn so much.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


One might even begin to wonder who's being exploited here? The obviously smart women or the poor saps who pay them?

H/T Memeorandum

Cross posted at Left Coast Rebel, Say Anything

No comments:

Post a Comment