Sunday, December 5, 2010

Spinal Tap, Obama and Glenn Reynolds

by the Left Coast Rebel

I have a confession and I hate to admit it, oh I really do (and Proof's gonna kill me for admitting this).

--- I've never seen the movie "Spinal Tap."

Mind you, I've seen parts of it and certainly appreciate the humor therein. I just have never sat down with friends or otherwise - and watched the whole thing (at least that I can recall).

Glenn Reynolds (aka the "BlogFather" or Instapundit) has definitely seen the flick, which doesn't surprise me as I can recall an interview with him that I read a while back where he admitted being strange, or a dork, or something (I remember this because I could relate at the time). And didn't he start blogging as an experiment, related to music too?

Regardless, Reynolds sees Nigel Tufnel's amplifier in Dear Leader:

But I have a different character in mind. The more I watch this administration at work, the more I think we're seeing the first Nigel Tufnel presidency.

Nigel Tufnel, many will remember, was the fictitious heavy metal guitarist in the fictional "rockumentary" "This Is Spinal Tap." In a classic scene, he displays his guitar collection and his special amplifier that -- unlike all other amplifiers in existence -- has knobs that go all the way up to 11, instead of just 10.

The rest is really good stuff and solidly in the "why didn't I think of that" category (other than that I couldn't have, because I haven't seen the movie).

Read Glenn Reynolds "Spinal Tap" piece here.

Almost forgot - here's the clip from "This Is Spinal Tap" where Nigel shows Marty his equipment and comments on his amplifier that "goes up to eleven".


X-posted to LCR.

2 comments:

  1. If this is true confession time, then I need to come clean as well. I've never seen Spinal Tap, either. (I've had a spinal block...does that count?) I can't even say I've seen parts of it. I read somewhere what the premise was and that was enough for me. No guilt on my account, Bubba!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, perhaps we are both clear, then. I've had a lower lumbar spine x-ray, LOL....

    I guess Spinal Tap is a generational thing, guys in their 40s vs. those in their late 20s and early 30s

    ReplyDelete