Tuesday, October 13, 2015

So, I Bought this Knife...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

...not because I needed another knife. I have plenty. What I didn't have and have wanted for a long time is an edged weapon with a Damascus blade. (And because it's pretty!) See the bone handle beneath the rosewood? It's a skinner. Not enough hilt to ever consider fighting with it, unless your next weapon of choice was a rock!

But, that's not why I was prompted to write. Not to brag, not to gloat, but because of a tiny piece of paper in the bottom of the knife box. It begins:

"Warning: This item may have sharp edge(s) and/or point. Mishandling or improper, negligent and/or illegal use can result in serious injury."

"This item may have sharp edge(s) and/or point". Gosh, I certainly hope so! That's kinda the reason you buy a knife, isn't it? It goes on:
Use caution when opening this package. This item is not a toy, KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE. It is the responsibility of the consumer to investigate and comply with his or her local laws and regulations. This product MAY contains (sic) chemicals, including lead, known to the State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling. Blood stains are hard to remove.

Okay! I may have added that last part! But seriously, a Prop 65 warning on a skinning knife? What are they trying to say? "Don't lick the knife"? "Warning: if I stab you and happen to miss an artery, you may be susceptible to blood poisoning"?

I have purchased a number of knives over the years, but this was the first that ever came with a Captain Obvious warning in it. I believe I have at least one firearm with a "read the manual first" warning stamped on the slide, but this is the first time anyone has had to warn me that knifes can be sharp and/or pointy.

Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment