Saturday, December 31, 2016

Not a Big Fan of Santa Claus...

Call me Scrooge, but I'm not a big fan of Santa Claus. I raised five children without ever telling them that any of their Christmas gifts came from Santa Claus, and they turned out pretty well. No "Better watch out" or "Be good, because Santa knows if you're naughty or nice!"

I was the youngest of three kids. I don't know when my brother and sister found out, but I remember being very disillusioned when I found out Santa wasn't real. I determined that if I ever had kids, I would never lie to them about anything, if it were at all possible.

Santa, the Tooth Fairy...what is it with parents pulling the wool over the eyes of their children? If you cause your children to put their confidence in what you say and you lie to them, what difference is there between you and a "con" man? (Other than they don't have enough money for you to swindle them out of, that they didn't either get from you or the "Tooth Fairy"?)

Still, there was one soft spot for Santa in my heart. When I was a kid, there was this one Christmas decoration of a cute, light up Santa, who looked like he was sneaking around trying not to get caught.



The original electric light that illuminated him from within is long gone. I've determined to replace that with an updated LED bulb & socket that should carry him into the next century. The red of his coat had a kind of flocking on it, which has mostly worn away. He shows his age, but then, so do I!

I guess what brought these memories to the fore, was a random stroll through a department store. (Okay, it was Tar-zhay, so sue me!) And I saw this cookie jar of Santa as lumberjack: dressed in a plaid shirt, with axe in hand, having just chopped down a Christmas tree. It just struck me as really cute.

In the course of couple of days, it struck me as the perfect gift for my five kids, (and sister-in-law) most of them who now have kids of their own. Instead of stocking stuffers this year, I determined to do cookie jar stuffers, and proceeded to fill each jar with a small package of cookies, Jelly Bellys, and cocoa mix, and a little something else.

Santa's workshop, 2016:


Still not a big fan of the Claus, but I understand the original St. Nicholas was a good man of faith and conviction. Just get rid of the red nosed tundra rats, Bad Santas, drummer boys and magic hat snowmen and we'll be fine!

You may also like The Other Gift of the Magi from last year...

No comments:

Post a Comment