Thursday, September 12, 2019

Picture This! TinyPic RIP


The lovely lady above graced one of the early pages of this blog. But she needed to be rescued! About a week or so ago, I got an email saying that TinyPic, the site where I used to host the blog's images in the early days, was coming to an end. But, for a mere $7.99 a year, we can take care of you. At first, I thought it was some form of ransomware: "Nice pictures you got there! It'd be shame if anything happened to them!"

A second email seemed to indicate that the eight bucks would not preserve anything on the old site, but if you wanted to retrieve your stuff, you have a limited amount of time to get it. I tried several times to sign on, without success, so I figured it was all just going to be a write off.
Last Tuesday, I tried again and got in! The site was already buggy as heck. It looked like I had about 8,000 images there. Twenty images to a page, so a mere...400 pages of images! I'd try to pull up the pages in numerical order and sometimes it would work and sometimes it took me to a page in someone else's album. Sheesh.

It was about one in the afternoon. I really didn't have anything planned that day, other than maybe run an errand over at the Tar-zhey. I started combing through the pages, looking for original images and stuff I might not have adequately backed up elsewhere. Bulk copying was out of the question.

I managed to get through the first 168 pages, and then the system kicked me out. How rude! I'd been at it about four hours at that point, so I took a break for dinner. Tank topped off, I started again. When I got to page 128, it said I didn't have any more pictures. *Sigh*. So I figured out a way to use the URL to jump to specific pages, and copying one image at a time, took another six hours to can through all the pages, to the very last (first) one that contained the image above.

The biggest effect on the readers will be searching older posts, which will contain one or more annoying TinyPic images. I may, if driven to boredom or necessity, go back and fix some of the posts, updating the pictures, but...maybe not so much! Anyhoo, that's what's going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment