Monday, December 9, 2019

René Auberjonois R.I.P.

I just got an email from my daughter, letting me know that René Auberjonois had passed away.


His roles were many and varied. He played Father Mulcahey in the original M*A*S*H movie. He played Chef Louie in the Little Mermaid, he played the character Clayton Endicott on Benson, and the changeling Odo on Deep Space Nine. Plus numerous guest roles on series like NCIS.

My brief encounter with him was back in 1968, before he made it big. He played the title role in the ACT production of "Charley's Aunt", in San Francisco. I had just seen the production with my high school drama class, and we had some time to ourselves before the next production we were going to see. Back then, you could let a high school kid roam the streets of San Francisco without a chaperone, without the fear of bodily harm or a lawsuit.

I ran into René briefly, as he was humping costumes between one theater and another. I told him I'd seen and enjoyed his performance and he was very warm and cordial.

He seemed to be a really decent guy. He will be missed. Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment