Friday, October 2, 2020

The Three Month Challenge


Frankly, I don't know if this is going to be interesting to anyone but me, so feel free to pass over this for something more interesting. The last post was a Vintage Babe. Always a good bet.

You're still here? Okay, here goes. I'm giving myself a three month challenge to live off nothing but what's in my cupboard, fridge or freezer for the next three months. No trips to the store. Nothing on the menu that isn't in the house already. I've never been a "prepper", more prepper lite. I felt it was prudent, whenever possible, to have enough supplies on hand to take you through power outages, storms, zombie apocalypses and the occasional Sadie Hawkins day.

Now through New Year's, no trips to the grocery store. I may need to pick up a few prescriptions between now and then. Of course, with my luck, there will be a meteor strike or somesuch on New Year's Eve, right when I run out of everything! But, I'm willing to take that chance.

I'll also be doing some soul searching during that time. On the one hand, I live in a great little house on a quiet little street in a state with the best climate in the world. If I stayed here until they carried me out in a box, it would be fine with me.

On the other hand, I live in a state with the worst political climate of all 50 states. Sometimes, in my mind, I have one foot out the door already. How does that song go? "Should I stay or should I go?"

So, I'm going to think about it and pray about it for the next three months. Certain investments I have made seem to indicate that I can pay off my mortgage next year, which will make it very cheap to live here...or give me a large cash out to move somewhere else. Both staying and going have their positives and their drawbacks. I guess it will probably hinge on what I plan to DO with the rest of my life. Can I do it here? Do I need to move?

Whatever will that be? I don't know. That's part of the challenge of the next three months. If I live another decade or two or three, what do I want to be doing , other than writing a blog and enjoying my monastic solitude?

I've been in the process of decluttering my life. I've given a lot of stuff away, some of which I thought would be a comfort to me in my retirement. I've got another half a dozen boxes set to go and more to follow after that.

Ideally, I'll have much of the remaining clutter cleaned up...in the next three months!

Decluttering means less stuff to pack... or more space and less clutter in living here. Win-win either way!

So, wish me luck. Let me know if you have any interest in progress reports. Like I say, this might not be interesting to anyone other than myself. But, some times I write simply to let the words leak out.

No comments:

Post a Comment