Wednesday, May 19, 2021

With Apologies to Blanche DuBois...

Seems like just the other day, I was talking to someone on Twitter about how we never "meet cute" in a supermarket, the way it happens in the movies or on TV. Well, yesterday, on my way home from the cardiac surgeon's office, it almost happened to me!
It was in the soda aisle. My caffeinated brand of choice was on sale, must buy three. But they were packed in on the shelf tighter than Michael Moore's pants at an all you can eat buffet. I managed to pry one out and get it into the cart, but that was going to require a minute or two of restorative breathing, so there I was doubled over in the aisle, leaning on my cart, waiting for strength to try it again.

"Do you need any help?", a nice lady was asking me. I wasn't sure if she worked there or not, because, bent over like that, I could only see her from the waist down. I couldn't tell if she had a nametag, or was carrying an official clipboard or anything.
"No. I'm okay. Just need to catch my breath". I think she made a follow up inquiry. I'm not too sure. Moments like that I try to conserve oxygen for more vital functions than say, "hearing" or "comprehension"!
She came over and help put a couple more 12 packs in my cart. Just for reference, my M.O. for carrying soda consists of slipping two fingers each into two 12 packs and carry them from my car four at a time.

The Good Old Days!

By this time, I have straightened up and seen that she is not an employee, but a mere civilian like myself. We introduced ourselves. I'm Mike. She's "Cricket", like the insect. And she asked me if there was anything else she could do for me? I asked, "Are you a praying person?"

"Yes I am."

"Then you can pray for me." My expectation was that we would separate and at some future time, she would say something like, "And God please bless that poor man in the supermarket!" and that would be the end of it.

To my astonishment, she had an accomplice. She called to a lady down the aisle, "Mom!" and motioned her over. She introduced me, "Mom, this is Mike".

"Hi, Mike"

"Hi, Mom!"

Cricket explained to her mom that I had requested prayer, so her mom came over and took my hand in hers, threat of COVID and all, social distance be damned, and started praying for me right there in the middle of the soda aisle at Safeway!

I thinked them for their kindness and quickly made my way to the checkout, lest a revival meeting break out somewhere north of the frozen food. Unlike Blanche DuBois, I have seldom depended on the kindness of strangers. This was a very pleasant exception to the rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment