Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Okay, One Last TAVR Post!

One of the things I looked for earlier was a picture of the type of valve used in my TAVR procedure. I think this video illustrates it rather nicely, for those of you with any lingering curiosity as to what I just went through: Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) - Transfemoral Approach
The procedure was last Thursday, June 10th. Recovery, apart from the incision sights, seemed darn near instantaneous. Although I have not restarted any strenuous activity, prior to the procedure, everything was strenuous. Walking from room to room might require hyperventilating prior to the move and immediately afterwards, accompanied with higher pulse and respiration. To be able to simply walk a half a block to pick up my mail, a two minute round trip, without having to stop and catch my breath once or twice in each direction is something I hope I will never take for granted again! I go in for my one week follow up tomorrow. 

 Thanks again for all your prayers and well wishes. In another place and time I might have been abandoned on an ice floe, and it would have been a sort of blessing. As it is, we'll save the ice for the tea and margaritas! (Suppose to hit triple digits here in California for the next four days. -Yikes!)

Thanks to Edwards Lifesciences LLC, for developing the technology that is making my life so much easier! 

I had been told several times that this valve would be MRI compatible. At first, I thought that meant there was no metal. Instead, there is Austenitic stainless steel, which contains nickel and is non-magnetic.
Otherwise, picture a small fragmentation grenade, implanted in your chest waiting for a strong enough magnetic field to violently pull it apart.
MRI compatible is fine with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment