Monday, December 19, 2011

LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar

This next story isn't so much about the commercialization of Christmas as it is the Weirdification of Christmas.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Amazon.com (good people!) is offering the LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar for 2011. And though I have often heard of LEGO being associated with Star Wars, I think this is the first time I've ever heard Star Wars and LEGO associated with an Advent calendar.

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with "Advent calendars", traditionally, they have been calendars with little "windows", one to be opened every day counting down to Christmas. According to wiki:
In many of these calendars, each window opens to reveal an image, a poem, or a portion of a story such as the story of the Nativity of Jesus. More elaborate Advent calendars have a small gift concealed in each window, such as a toy or a chocolate item.


I had only heard of them in a religious context, counting down the days until the celebration of Jesus' birth, Advent being the "coming of Christ into the world". And nothing says "Jesus is coming" like LEGO Star Wars toys, I guess.

If this floats your boat, you can find it here...although if you've waited this long, you probably want to wait for the 2012 model.

3 comments:

  1. Gee. Talk about lazy. Buy your kid an advent calendar with all the presents already in it like it's a happy meal or sumpm'? That ain't how we roll at my corner of Christmasville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was growing up, I'd never even heard of an Advent calendar. I'd guess now, it was because my parents didn't want us to spend a lot of time counting down to opening packages of socks and underwear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had one either, but Christmas was just another cartoon holiday for me when I grew up. I came to believe as a grownup. My wife, on the other hand, is a Christmas nut. The music starts the day after Halloween. Truth be told, by the time Christmas finally rolls around every year, I've had enough of it. hehe

    ReplyDelete